Monday, March 7, 2011

Love and Other Drugs DVD

I love a good romantic dra-medy. It makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you want to hug it out. As long as my husband isn't watching with me ridiculing the plot and asking me why I'm crying like he's Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own, I actually do enjoy myself. In Love and Other Drugs, Jake Gyllenhaal is enticing <wipes drool from mouth> and Anne Hathaway is her charming self. Hank Azaria and Oliver Platt are always good support cast, always. So it does a good job. All that aside, the film has a message.
Normally, when a film has a message I run away. Unless the purpose of the film is to educate or exploit, keep your message to yourself. But, every once in awhile a movie slips a little agenda that is not in your face, or rude to catch the audience. Or, as I like to call it, justified use of mass media message. This movie does a cute quick job that doesn't upset the money making pharmaceutical companies, or regular Joe Schmo.
Set in the late 90's, this flick puts pharmaceutical companies true agenda on the table. The focus is money, duh. They are fixing old dude boners not Anne Hathaway's Parkinsons. For shame! Jake is an evil rep focused on making money, and then, finds his penguin and changes his bad ways. Nice little bow, the end.
"Are you crying? There's no crying in baseball!?!"
Shut up, dude, and pass me a tissue.

No comments:

Post a Comment